The house was built prior to 1861. It was completely gutted and remodeled in the mid-1970s. In late 2011, a break-in left pipes to freeze and the downstairs was flooded, which meant the particle board floors (left unfinished since the incomplete '70s remodel), along with most of the kitchen cabinets, had to be removed due to extensive water damage.
Windows that are based on the original six-over-six windows were installed in October 2012, and we decided to also have all the clapboards replaced with locally sourced, primed pine clapboards. Downstairs, new subfloors were installed, the bathroom was gutted, and new cottage oak floors were installed by a contractor.
As the new owners, we were challenged with cleaning up and removing more than twelve tons of scrap left all around the property, in the garage, the outbuildings, and inside the house, in addition to demolition material. We began work in November 2012 and have not stopped.